I’ve been thinking for a while about posting about why wedding photography’s so expensive, but I recently read an article that covers most of what I wanted to say already. Updated 2015 – the article I linked to seems to have disappeared, please read my summary below.
- We bring expensive equipment (maybe $20K worth) to each wedding, equipment that needs to be maintained and replaced
- Assistants need to be paid, and we spend 3-4 days on most weddings once you count processing and album design
- Education and training is expensive and essential
- Wedding albums cost a LOT! Most people wouldn’t believe how much albums cost us, then there’s the design time. Even the little extras like the nice CD cases are surprisingly expensive.
- We have all the expenses that any business has: insurance (both equipment and liability insurance), vehicles and travel costs, phone and internet, an accountant, taxes, etc, etc.
In short, most wedding photographers take photos for the love of photography and weddings, not because it’s a lucrative career!
Photos are usually the only thing you get to keep to remember your wedding day, other than your partner, if photos are important to you it’s worth investing in a good photographer 🙂